- Georgia has its own style of cooking, because based primarily on ancient recipes, but you can also find many bold proposals from avant-garde chefs as well.
- In addition to being a cuisine specific to each country with many traditional characteristics, the other culinary traditions influenced the Georgian cuisine, mainly from the Middle East, Western Asia and Europe.
Georgian cuisine,world wide known :
- In fact,Georgian cuisine offers a wide variety of dishes.
- This is mainly due to the fact that the historic region of Georgia has its own culinary tradition.
- Among these, the Megeliana, Imeretian and Khaki cuisines are the best known and the most popular.
why Georgian food ?
- Eating in Georgia does not only mean filling the stomach, but it is also because of that, the friendship linked to eat in Georgia , celebration, exchange, etc,that’s why we consider it as it is a very important tradition for all Georgians.
- This is why also, the portion sizes are always large and, furthermore it would be difficult to find individual tables in Georgian restaurants.
what’s “supra” ?
- First of all,the most symbolic form for the Georgian festival we call it “Supra”.
- “Supra” is an important part of the Georgian social culture.
- In the Georgian language, Supra literally means “mantel”.
- for the reason that, we are never keeping large public meals without Supra and, if there are no tables, probably they are throwing to the ground.
- Actually, Supra has its specific rules, regardless of the type and size,Tamada is always guiding the supra,by the way Tamada is the name of (Toastmaster), who proposes toasts.
Tamada must have a great rhetorical capacity
- Certainly,this is the main reason why we chose him as a master of cakes .
- above all,TAMADA seems like he has the ability to consume a large amount of alcohol without showing any signs of drunkenness.
- The toast continues counterclockwise and if everyone who wanted to speak did so, Tamada proposes another toast and the circle begins again.
Typical dishes prepared in Georgian cuisine
The priority in Georgian cuisine is given to meat dishes.
Among the best known and popular ones are :
- Firstly,Khinkali is Georgian dumplings. we made it mainly, from mutton or veal.
- The meat filling Khinkali is raw and when we cook it, its juices are trapped inside.
how To eat Khinkali :
- one must hold Khinkali by its top (Using it as a handle) and suck the juice while taking the first bite. These “handles” are not normally eaten.
- Eating Khinkali without making a mess is a real art for Georgians and Expert Khinkali eaters are very proud of this.
- Satsivi is a cold sauce. we prepare it from poultry broth with additions of various spices, dried herbs, garlic, water and salt to taste.
- We also Boil turkey or chicken pieces and submerge it in the sauce is a staple of winter holiday feasts.
One more characteristic feature for Georgian cuisine is the use of plentiful of Cheeses.
- Without any doubt, Khachapuri is a farinaceous meal with big amount of cheese. we literally translate it “Cheese bread” and often,sometimes we call it as “Georgian pizza.” .
- Most noteworthy,The dough for Khachapuri must be tender that’s why we add Matsoni to its ingredients. As for the cheese, we must soak it and slightly wring it out.
khachapuri and the Georgian regions :
- In addition to that,There are many variations of Khachapuri (Imeretian, Megrelian, and Ajaruli). The most extravagant is Ajaruli Khachapuri, a boat-shaped pizza with an egg and butter added just before serving.
Vegetables and greens
- Vegetables are widely used in Georgia as food. we always accompany The abundance of meats on a Georgian table by considerable quantity of vegetables and greens.
Among the most popular dishes using vegetables and greens are :
- Mkhali is a hallmark of Georgian cuisine. It is a vegetable salad with one basic vegetable with the same name “Mkhali”.
- Mtsvadi is a Georgian Shish Kebab ,we prepare it mainly from beef. usually,we cook it on the grill and serve it with onions and mushrooms.
- Georgian Mtsvadi is very famous,and certainly, we distinguish it with special aroma and juiciness.
- While preparing Mtsvadi one must take into account to use marinated meat, then cut it into pieces and mix with salt, pepper and onions.
Other basic vegetables for Mkhali are:
- Cabbage, beet, sweet pepper and onions.
- As for seasoning, walnuts, red pepper, parsley greens, garlic, vinegar and salt that we use it. we thermally processed it, then we boil it or bake it and we crush and mix it with each other.
- This combination of different vegetables and greens creates a special taste.
- is a rich dish consisting of boiled red beans mixed with seasoning.
- The most widespread components for Lobio are: onions, wine vinegar, vegetable oil, greens such as parsley, coriander, leek, mint, basil etc.
- Also,we can add Some dry spices such as red and black peppers, saffron and suneli .
Best-known sweets among the traditional Georgian ones are:
Churchkhela is a traditional kind of sweets in Georgia. we make it of nuts beaded on the thread and then we cook it in grape juice, which is flour-thickened. There are varieties of this sweetmeat; among them best-known recipes of churchkhela is Kakhetian and Imeretian ones.
- We serve Gozinaki to a festive table on the first day of New Year and has special gusto for the Georgians.
- we can prepare it easily: One must warm honey and sugar in a casserole and then add nuts and we fry it to brown. Then we mix and cut all these into random pieces.
Pelamushi is thick jelly made of grape juice and corn meal. It is mainly served with nuts. The mixture of corn meal and grape juice must be boiled and thoroughly stirred before cooling.
Wine and Winemaking:
- Above all,Wine production began in Georgia centuries ago.
- Wine is one of the ancient fields of agriculture in Georgia.
- Producing different types of wines is an entire culture in Georgia.
- On the other hand,The country produces a great variety of wines: such as,red and white wines and inflated champagne.
- These wines are unique with a distinctive flavor.
- The uniqueness of Georgian wines depends on where we make it.
- Most noteworthy,we must mention that each region of Georgia cultivates its own grape varieties.
- For example, in Kakheti, which has a centuries-old history of wine production.
The variety of Georgian Wine :
- The best known varieties of red wine are Saperavi and Kabern and the varieties for white wine – Rkatsiteli and Khikhvi.
- In the Racha-Lechkhumi region, a small town of Khvanchkara produces the best-known wine of the same name. Another famous variety of Georgian wines is Odjaleshi, originally from Megrelia.