Firstly, Gonio Fortress area is one of the important archeological sites in Georgia located in Southwest Georgia, Achara Autonomous Republic, on the left bank of Chorokhi River.
Location and description :
- The distance from Batumi to Gonio is about 15 km, from Tbilisi-380 km.
- Gonio fortress is the oldest fortress in Georgia occupying approximately the territory of 4, 5 hectares.
- Its history amounts to millenniums.
- The archeological layers of the territory belong to XV-XVII centuries BC.
- Archeological excavations conducted on the territory discovered materials of Hellenistic period.
- It is worth noting that public buildings are also found together with the material items such as pottery, bronze, silver, gold etc.
- The ancient fortress erected at the mouth of Chorokhi River is one of the popular tourist attractions all over Georgia.
- The fortress was a Roman fortification in Achara.
History of Gonio :
- In the 2nd century AD Gonio was a well-fortified Roman city within Colchis.
- It was also known for its theatre and hippodrome. It later came under Byzantine influence.
- Nowadays the remnants of the ancient fortress consist of massive defensive wall of the most perfect stonework, reinforced with the counter-forcing structures.
- Also several military paths and crenels, remains of monumental construction, Roman bathhouse, ancient water supply system, fragments of an ancient caravansary of the XVI-XVII centuries, clay baking ovens etc.
- Among the numerous artifacts found on the territory the most note-worthy is the set of gold things known as “Gonio Treasure”.
- Also, they are undoubtedly brilliant samples of high level of craftsmanship and sophisticated art.
- In general, the material discovered on the territory belongs to different historical periods.
- Earliest samples date from VIII-VII cc. BC and the latest-XIX c. AD.